3 pounds chuck roast, brisket, or flank steak
2 tablespoons (or more if using flank steak) extra-virgin olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
2 red bell peppers, chopped
2 tablespoons Diamond Crystal or 3½ teaspoons Morton kosher salt
8 garlic cloves, finely grated
½ cup dry white wine
4 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 tablespoon dried Mexican or Italian oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
2 bay leaves
¾ cup pimiento-stuffed Spanish olives, halved crosswise
2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
Chopped cilantro, white rice, maduros, and black beans (for serving)
1) Pat roast dry with paper towels. Heat oil in a large oven-safe pot over high. Cook chuck roast, turning occasionally until browned on both sides (5–7 minutes per side). Transfer to a plate.
2) Place rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat to 250°.
3) In the pot, cook onion, bell peppers, and salt (plus 2 Tbsp. oil if using flank steak), stirring occasionally, 12–14 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently and scraping bottom of pan, until vegetables are golden brown, 3–5 minutes.
4) Stir in wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until evaporated. Stir in paprika, oregano, cumin, black pepper, and cayenne until vegetables are coated; continue to cook, stirring, until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
5) Add tomatoes and coarsely break up with a spoon. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
6) Nestle roast into tomato mixture and tuck in bay leaves on either side. Cover and transfer to oven. Braise roast and vegetables until meat is very tender and shreds easily, 2½–3 hours. Let cool 15 minutes.
7) Skim excess fat from sauce; discard bay leaves. Using a potato masher or 2 forks, tear and smash beef into sauce until it’s shredded and incorporated into sauce. Stir in olives and vinegar.
8) Top with cilantro. Serve with rice, fried sweet plantains, and beans alongside and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Bon Appetit https://bit.ly/3cbIMJ9